On our latest Let’s Talk podcast, Episode 5: Let’s Talk About Dental Health with Dr. Michelle Wihlm from Wihlm Dental and Jenna Linden with Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, joined Amanda and Karlene for a talk about dental health for our littlest family members and how dental health affects our overall health.
Is brushing enough, and when do we start? What can we do to make it easier for kids that hate brushing to begin with? When do we first go to the dentist? So many questions for Dr. Wihlm and Jenna! Listen for all the answers, and here are some local and online resources to help our kids along the way to excellent oral health!
Oshkosh Area Community Resources – Where to find dental assistance?
Tri-County Dental Clinic
- Location: 9 Tri-Park Way, Appleton, WI
- Resident of: Calumet, Outagamie, Winnebago counties
- Insurance status: Uninsured, Medicaid/BadgerCare
- Financial status: Up to 200% of the poverty level
- Services Provided:
- Adult/Child care for any kind of pain or swelling
- Comprehensive care for children 0-18 years includes cleanings, X-rays, and exam
- Comprehensive care for adults whose children’s dental home has been TCD for a minimum of 1 year with a good record of coming for appointments
- Restorative care for comprehensive care patients and patients in pain if a filling solves the issue
- Extractions completed on any tooth necessary, with the exception of wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth must have large areas of decay before they are extracted. TCD will not remove wisdom teeth due to eruption pain.
- Root Canals are limited to patients who do not have any missing teeth, with the exception of wisdom teeth or premolars from orthodontic treatment. The tooth must have at least 50% of the crown left after decay is removed, and decay must not go below the gum line.
- Orthodontics are limited to children who are current patients at TCD for a minimum of 1 year with good home care, limited restorative needs, and a good record of coming for appointments
- Appointments: For all services, walk-ins daily with some appointments. Appointments are made first for children, pregnant women, and those with swelling. If we cannot treat a walk-in that day, an appointment will be made within the next two days.
- For other questions, contact: Front Desk 920-882-5500
Partnership Community Health Center
- 5337 W. Grande Market Drive, Appleton, WI
- 2310 Westowne Avenue, Oshkosh, WI
- Resident of: Calumet, Outagamie, Winnebago counties
- Insurance status: Uninsured, Medicare, Medicaid/ BadgerCare, Private Insurance
- Financial status: Any income level with sliding fee scale based on household income
- Services provided:
- Urgent care for swelling and pain on a first come, first served basis
- Comprehensive care includes annual exams, cleanings, fluoride, sealants for children, scaling and root planing, and periodontal maintenance visits
- Restorative care given includes fillings, root canals, stainless steel crowns for children, nonsurgical extractions
- Root canals-front teeth only for adults
- Dentures and partial dentures
- Appointments: For all services, appointments with some walk-in appointments are available most days.
- For other questions contact: Michele, Dental Coordinator, 920-750-6662
- Children’s Health Alliance of Wisconsin is a resource for professionals working with families. Learn more about these programs for families in Wisconsin.
- Healthy Smiles for Mom and Baby
- Wisconsin Seal-a-Smile
- Sign up for your child to receive dental sealants and other preventative services at school.
- Month Health by the American Dental Association provides information and resources for dental hygiene – everything you need to know about keeping your smile healthy and bright at every age.
Books for Kids About Dental Hygiene
Check out these Best Sellers in Children’s Personal Hygiene Books at the Oshkosh Public Library!
The Smile Series (3 Book Series) by Rachel Grider
If The Dentist Were An Animal
Red Bow Books is making dentistry fun one playful rhyme at a time! Meet the Dentist in this adorable story that reinforces its teaching points with a variety of fun activities! The Smile Series is turning children into little smile experts all over the world!
Where, Oh Where Did the Tooth Fairy Go?
When a missed visit from the tooth fairy sparks rumors, the tooth fairy decides it it time to set the record straight. Read along to learn the toothy truth about missed visits and other fun dental facts!
Five Little Sugar Bugs
Finding a mouth to call home can be hard for sugar bugs. Clean mouths do not let them hang around for long. Follow along as clean habits (toothbrush and floss) keep five little sugar bugs on the run!
Why Do I Need to Brush My Teeth by Caressa Simmons
Ages: 3 – 8 years
Do you need help with teaching your child about oral hygiene, and why it is important? If your answer is YES, know that you are not alone! Inspire your little learners to practice healthy oral care habits with help from this story, written by a dental hygienist.
Follow the main character, Ivy, as she learns the “whys” of toothbrushing and the proper way to brush with guidance from her mom.
Your child will enjoy and relate to this cute story while learning how to take care of their smile along with Ivy!
Brush Your Teeth, Please: A Pop-up Book
Ages: 1 – 3 years
What child can resist imitating a chimp brushing its teeth back and forth? Or a shark that flosses every day? Youngsters will have lots of fun learning about proper dental hygiene in this delightful pop-up book.
The Tooth Book by Mark Bacera
The Silliest Book You’ll Read About Teeth! A few months ago, Booth lost a tooth. But what if, instead of a new tooth, another “T—” item pops out?
Before you turn the page, have your child make a guess! Will it actually be a tooth or something else?
Later, your child will learn all about the 5 different types of teeth, the order they come out, cavities, fillings, and crowns, and how to best keep them nice and healthy!
The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss
Learn about this very important body part that lets us talk, eat, and more in this useful guide from Dr. Seuss, illustrated by Joe Mathieu! From a lion’s mouth to a clam’s, explore all the things teeth can do, how they grow, and how to keep them in tip top shape! Dr. Seuss’s rhymes will delight young readers and help them discover the world around them, starting with their own bodies!
Just Going to the Dentist by Mercer Mayer – Little Critter
Mercer Mayer’s Little Critter is having a checkup at the dentist in this classic, funny, and heartwarming book. Whether he’s taking an X-ray, getting a teeth cleaning, or finding a cavity, parents and children alike will relate to this beloved story. A perfect way to help allay any fears of going to the dentist!
Cavity Free Kids: How To Care For Your Kids’ Teeth From Birth Through Their Teenage Years by Laila B Hishaw DDS
This must-have resource guide, packed with information and photos, will equip you with the knowledge and tools to provide the best oral healthcare at every stage of your child’s development while instilling a lifetime commitment to taking care of their teeth.
As a mother of three and a board-certified pediatric dentist, serving 1000s of patients for two decades, Dr. Laila Hishaw, affectionately known as The Mommy Dentist, knows both the science behind a healthy smile and understands the struggles of getting her own children to brush their teeth correctly. Dr. Hishaw’s clinical expertise and compassionate care have gained her recognition as Tucson’s Top Dentist™. She was also recognized on Mystery Diagnosis on Discovery Health Channel for her role in diagnosing a rare neurological disorder in one of her young patients.
- How a healthy pregnancy affects your child’s oral health
- Dental development at every stage
- How to prevent tooth decay and gum disease
- What to expect at your child’s dental visit
- Home care instructions & nutritional counseling
- Helpful tips for weaning your child from harmful habits
- Common dental concerns
- What to do in a dental emergency
Bonus! Fun Tooth Fairy Ideas
These Tooth Fairy Printables are cute and FREE! Find a receipt, coloring page, calendar tracker for brushing and flossing and more!