On our second episode of Let’s Talk, Amanda Chavez and Karlene Grabner are joined by Siri Smits and Kate Salzsieder to talk about enjoying the outdoors and meals together, as well as how to encourage healthy movement and eating. What are some ways to enjoy the outdoors together? How do we manage everyone’s preferences around dinners and encourage kids to eat their lunches? We tackle these questions and more with help from our guests.
Tap the blue button to share with friends and the orange subscribe button above to subscribe and follow us on your favorite app for listening to podcasts. While you’re there, rate and review to help us reach more families!
Meet our Guests
Kate Salzsieder-Wendrick RD, CEDRD
Registered Dietitian, Food and Nutrition Services
Aurora Medical Center – Oshkosh
Kate is an Oshkosh native living in Neenah with her newly blended family of her husband and their four daughters. Kate received her education from the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities and has been a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist since 2005. Kate currently can be found at Advocate Aurora Health in both the hospital setting and the Oncology center. In her free time, she enjoys reading and working on puzzles.
Member and Community Engagement Director
Oshkosh Community YMCA
Oshkosh native, Siri has been supporting the YMCA professionally for over seven years but growing up on the swim team, the Oshkosh YMCA has always been part of her life. In her role as the Community Engagement Director, she educates the community and Y members about all the wonderful things they do at the YMCA and Oshkosh.
Episode at a Glance
- 2:13 – How do you manage healthy meals for busy families? The 3 P’s.
- 7:11 – “If you fuel better, you feel better.” Tips for encouraging kids to eat well and hydrate.
- 11:56 – “The division of responsibility.” Creating healthy relationships to food. What is your job and what is their’s?
- 16:29 – The impact of getting outside and being active.
- 18:56 – Connection and the most important parts of the day.
- 24:04 – How does activity affect development, wellbeing, and mental health.
- 25:28 – Dinner Table Resilence
- 27:20 – Take aways from today.
- 30:19 – Keeping things simple and getting outside.
In our next episode, we’ll be talking about reading and literacy. What are some signs that your child might need extra support? Where do we find that support? How can we encourage our kids to read more? Find the answers to these questions and more as we explore this topic with our guests.
Support our Podcasts: Let’s Talk!
- Tell your friends!
- Share Let’s Talk on social media
- Fill out and share our brief form to let us know what you’re thinking about
- Want to be on an upcoming parent panel? Sign up here!
If you are a business that supports families, you can help bring these important conversations to area families by sponsoring episodes of Let’s Talk!